Learn About Interlibrary Loans
How do I borrow from other libraries?
- Borrowing is available from the Lakeland Library Cooperative members on the shared system and the MelCat statewide resource sharing system. Grand Rapids Public Library and Kent District Library do not participate in the Lakeland shared system. Their resources are available through the MelCat system.
- Books, Audiobooks, CDs and DVDs are available through the Lakeland Library Cooperative, while only print materials are available through the MelCat system. New and Express Books, Audiobooks, CDs and DVDs are not available. Most new materials are shared with patrons of other libraries after approximately 6 months, depending on that library’s policies.
- The lending library’s due dates, fees and fines apply.
- MelCat and Lakeland Library Cooperative materials can take 1 to 6 weeks for delivery to your home library.
- All Lakeland Library Cooperative members offer reciprocal borrowing privileges (in person service) to borrowers from other member libraries (this includes Grand Rapids Public Library and Kent District Library). Borrowers must have a library card in good standing from their home library to receive in-person service from another Lakeland member library. Nonresident borrowers are restricted to the resources owned by the library from which they have received their nonresident cards.